At SafeWay we are proud of our engineering and manufacturing know-how. We work with our customers to explore and execute unique fluid transfer solutions that leverage our expertise with plastic and metal materials. Following are summaries of three examples from recent unique projects.
CUSTOM ZERK FOR TRACK TENSIONING SYSTEM TO SIMPLIFY LUBRICATION AND MAINTENANCE
- Challenge: A manufacturer of excavation machinery designed a single zerk hydraulic system to deliver and bleed grease used to set/adjust track tension on their equipment. The system required a reliable and durable mechanism to inject lubricant and then reverse pressure to allow the used lubricant to be flushed from the system and then recharged.
- Solution: SafeWay engineers developed a set of design and control features to minimize leak potential and a dual hardening process to assure reliable performance of the zerk system’s body.
- Benefit: The SafeWay-designed single zerk hydraulic system exceeds expectations for performance, durability, and cost.
COLOR CODED ANODIZING SIMPLIFIES MULTI-LINE CONNECTION SYSTEMS
- Challenge: A manufacturer of high-performance lubricants had problems with connection errors cross contaminating fluids. Workers needed to quickly and easily distinguish among the many fluid lines.
- Solution: SafeWay engineers created a new, color-coded (anodized) quick disconnect system allowing production workers to separate fluids based on the color of the associated coupling components. The new system also incorporates male and female components that won’t physically connect the wrong fluid lines.
- Benefit: The custom fluid-transfer solution eliminates costly errors, product waste, and time-consuming rework. It also leverages a more comprehensive process for transferring fluid, streamlining changeover.
MODULAR ELECTRONICS COOLING IN A RELIABLE, QUICK AND EASY MODULAR DESIGN
- Challenge: A customer needed a leak-free fluid transfer coupling solution for electronics cooling within an electronics enclosure. Off-the-shelf couplers were too large and heavy for the confined space of their products.
- Solution: SafeWay engineers developed smaller and lighter couplers made of aluminum that operate closer to 300 psi, versus the 3,000 psi of typical couplers. The sets of dripless connectors were also color-coded.
- Benefit: The light-weight coupler design keeps electronics cool in a confined space and saves money. It’s easy to identify the color-coded sets of dripless connectors when installing the system.